To most of us who have probably lost track of day and time — it’s quite difficult to draw the line between work and play, especially now when you do both at home. You might have gone way beyond working hours to finish all of your e-mails, or binged-watch that K-drama series more than you thought you would. Or maybe you’re just lying in bed scrolling through your feed until you realize it’s 4AM. Sound familiar?
I love taking care of my skin and making sure it gets the treatment it deserves. I think it has paid off because a lot of people express their surprise when I tell them I’m 31 years old. I like to switch brands every now and then, but I generally use Asian products since they’re made for our skin and climate. The newest products I got to try are from Dream of Natural Beauty (DNB), a Korean line that products the Everang Premium Collagen Whitening Cream and the Collagen Sun Cream.
Did you know that on average, people experience about 18 hours of total sun exposure per week just by doing a regular daily routine? Olay research says that this is equivalent to the same amount of sun exposure we get when at the beach. Unfortunately, one out of three women beg off from using SPF daily because of the sticky texture, especially in the humid Philippine weather.
In case you missed out on the big news, UV rays are the cause of sun damage and you can get it whether you’re indoors or outdoors, even during sunny or rainy days. This is exactly why sunscreen is highly recommended to be used every day as there’s no escaping from these UV rays even if the sun is hidden.
I love fragrances. Whether it’s perfume, lotions, candles, or essential oils, I like to stock up on them and rotate them depending on my mood. The art of aromatherapy believes that different scents have different effects, from revitalizing you to relaxing you.
How do essential oils work? The sense of smell acts directly on the brain. When the aroma enters the nose, the smell is converted by the cilia, or the fine hairs inside the nose lining, into electrical impulses that are sent to the limbic system, the part of the brain that affects moods, emotions, memory, and learning.
Like I mentioned, essential oils do different things depending on the aroma. Legande, Inc., a new company that makes home products that are indispensable to everyday living, has launched three new sets of essential oils that are perfect for every mood.
Check them out below:
1. Lemongrass Essential Oil: The sweet and refreshing scent of lemongrass has an aroma that can get rid of stress. Its calming and soothing effects can also relieve headaches. Lemongrass works for the home as well, as it is a natural and safe air freshener and can kill bacteria.
2. Frankincense Essential Oil: This incense oil can help fight fatigue and focus the mind. Its sedative properties can bring inner peace, relaxation, and satisfaction. Added benefits include helping respiratory disorders and reducing and preventing scars.
3. Grapefruit Essential Oil: This citrus-scented oil can help reduce blood pressure and stress levels for a good mood. It also supports healthy skin by soothing and cleansing.
Stress and Pain Busters
1. Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender is known for inducing calmness and reducing stress. It promotes relaxation and a good night’s sleep. It’s also said to be rich in antioxidants that prevent skin aging by regenerating cells.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil: Tea tree is popular for those who want to target blemishes and fatigue. Its germ-fighting properties can help soothe dry skin and eczema. It also helps in fighting acne (as effectively as benzoyl peroxide) and boosting wound healing.
3. Lemon Essential Oil: This refreshing fragrance uplifts your energy and alleviates fatigue. It also has antifungal and antibacterial properties so you can use this to treat acne.
1. Rosemary Essential Oil: This can energize and uplift the spirits, and fight off mental fatigue and stress. It also helps with focus and alertness. It’s also said to boost hair growth.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil: The minty scent can help uplift the mind and invigorate the senses. It’s said to also improve focus and energy. Peppermint is helpful for treating nausea and repelling insects.
3. Orange Essential Oil: Orange is known to enhance mood and reduce pulse rate. It also doubles as a health aid, as it can control blood pressure and strengthen the immune system.
As an added bonus, Legande, Inc. created the My TLC, a special blend of essential oils that can help relieve common ailments. Think of it this way: if frankincense can help fight fatigue, imagine its power when you combine it with lemon. My TLC is made with 100% natural and pure essential oils, combining calamansi, elemi (a local tree known for its antiseptic and uplifting effects), frankincense, mandarin, lemon, eucalyptus, grape seed, and spearmint. The deliciously citrus scent can be carried around to help improve the mood.
All of Legande, Inc.’s essential oils are 100% pure with no additives or synthetics. They can be used by inhaling it via a diffuser, steam, spray, or a cotton ball. You can also use it topically on the skin through a bath, shower, or massage. A warning, though: if you’re going to use it topically, mix a small amount with a carrier oil (like coconut oil) and patch test before applying to the whole body.
This story is in partnership with Legande, Inc. For more information, visit the newly-launched website or follow them on Facebook and Instagram. You may purchase the products on the website or visit them at Suite 406 West Tower, Philippine Stock Exchange Center, Exchange Road, Ortigas Center, Barangay San Antonio, Pasig City, Metro Manila. You may also call +63 (2) 8 635-6566 to 68, +63 (917) 579-8523 (Globe), or +63 (999) 999-0812 (Smart).
People are naturally drawn to create human connections, and the better we are in self-expression, the stronger the connections we build. Self-expression, however, may not come instinctively to some of us; two out of three people have experienced feeling afraid of expressing themselves, or sharing what they truly feel because they feared people would judge them or because they just don’t really know how to accurately express themselves.
I’ve always loved Solenn Heussaff. Out of all the It Girls, she seems to be the most grounded and down-to-earth. She comes off as someone who’s not afraid of roughing it, especially when you consider that she was one of the final three (and the only woman) in Survivor Philippines: Celebrity Showdown in 2010. So it makes sense that she’ll star in the new action film for Vitress Hair Freshener.
As the world celebrated Transgender Awareness Week during the second week of November, Pantene Philippines paid tribute to Kevin Balot, the brand’s first-ever transgender ambassador. They released a short inspirational video celebrating Balot’s success as a transgender beauty queen at the Miss International Queen.
I recognize that life is tougher for women. There’s a double standard when it comes to them and they are judged harshly when they break the rules that an imaginary figure set, presumably a million years ago.
They are also expected to look their best at all times. Imperfection must be tucked away, whether through makeup or with a smile. It’s such a tiring routine and because of this, many are calling on their fellow women to wear their scars with pride, since they are signs that a woman is braver, more beautiful, and stronger now because of the struggles she overcame.