When Frozen came out in 2013, I thought it was just a typical Disney film: light, fluffy, and with an awesome musical score. It’s your usual family-friendly fare, but it had a feminist undertone that made it a hit amongst adults as well. Who can forget the iconic line, “You can’t marry a man you just met,” which Elsa imperiously declared to her sister Anna. With just one line, it shows that the studio is thumbing its nose to its tradition of marrying princesses to literal strangers and thinking progressively. Now, for its upcoming sequel, Frozen is once again redefining what it is to be a queen by making Elsa an action star.
Watch the trailer below:
In the new movie, Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven go on a journey out of Arendelle to discover the origins of the queen’s icy powers. This time, it’s less light and fluffy, and more action-packed and kickass.
Frozen II features the returning voices of Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, and Santino Fontana. It will also include Sterling K. Brown, Evan Rachel Wood, Alfred Molina, Martha Plimpton, Rachel Matthews, and Jason Ritter in new roles.
The new roles are:
- King Agnarr – The son of King Runeard, King Agnarr is married to Queen Iduna, and is Anna and Elsa’s father. King Agnarr loves his family and would do anything to ensure his daughters’ wellbeing and safety.
- Yelana – The unspoken leader of the nomadic Northuldra. She is fiercely protective of her family and community but is known to soften when people show an understanding of nature and their environment.
- Honeymaren – A member of the Northuldra, Honeymaren is a true free spirit and wants nothing more than to bring peace to the enchanted forest. She is bold and brave, with a reverence for the magic of nature.
- Ryder – Eager and fun, Honeymaren’s brother Ryder embraces life with optimism. Ryder’s love of reindeer might just rival Kristoff’s – but unlike Kristoff, Ryder has never roamed the great plains outside of the Enchanted Forest. He longs to embrace the world and venture beyond the magical mist.
- Bruni – Curious and cute, this salamander inhabits the Enchanted Forest. Though shy at first, Bruni can’t help but be drawn to Elsa’s icy magic and enjoys the cool snowflake treats she creates.
Frozen II will be shown in the Philippines on November 20, 2019.