I was able to go to the vernissage of Art Fair Philippines 2018 last night and was once again blown away by the breadth of work by Filipino artists. The organizers of the fair pulled out all the stops and transformed all the available space of The Link carpark to showcase 51 galleries across the Philippines (and the world).
This year, Art Fair is focusing on photography and there were a lot of great photos from talented photographers.
Here are 10 things to watch out for when Art Fair opens from March 1 to 4. If you want a sneak peek of what to expect, here are my 10 favorite pieces this year:
1. The cock-eyed girls of Japanese artist Yuka Machida
2. Structure by Luis Antonio Santos. I’ve always been a fan of his work!
3. Ordinary Day 02: Breathe by Jaime Pacena II, Blanc Gallery. The text may be too small but the guy in the middle is saying, “Look up!” Thought it was cute.
4. Iniquity Within by Anton Del Castillo. I love the A Clockwork Orange vibes of this piece.
5. Reynas Delas Flores: Manila Golden Gays by Geloy Concepcion. Storytime: I think this is part of Provocations, Neal Oshima’s curated exhibit. Oshima and I made eye contact so I smiled at him. He smiled back. I was starstruck.
6. Everyday Impunity. These are photos taken from the police beat during the extrajudicial killing (EJK) period. The photos take up one whole wall. Storytime: Erwin Romulo was standing outside the exhibit and invited me in. I introduced myself and told him I was a fan of his work with Esquire Philippines, and he said he knew me???
7. Part of Signos by Veejay Villafranca. This part of Art Fair Philippines 2018 is so good. There are so many great photos here.
8. Also part of the exhibit is Mindanao: Under the Lord’s Shadow by Jez Aznar. The photo is so dramatic and has that “What have I done?” vibe.
9. The erotica of Japanese artist Mishima Tetsuya
10. Studies into the Past by Laurent Grasso, Edouard Malingue Gallery. It’s so quirky!
These are just 10 of the many works at the fair. Make sure to visit this weekend and be blown away at the talent of our local artists! For information on prices, timed entries, and what else to expect, read my 10 Things to Watch Out For in Art Fair Philippines 2018.